Not everyone has all — or any — of the things many of us take for granted, like our families, friends and health. For those of you who are fortunate enough to have the extra time and/or money, the Garamasalas staff urges you to consider giving back this season and brightening the day of someone who is in a position less favorable than yours. We’ve created a list of acts of kindness that is versatile enough for everyone to choose at least one or two and help spread the love today.
- Smile and say hello to a stranger you pass by.
- Give a genuine compliment to a cashier or server.
- Put a surprise note in a loved one’s bag.
- Pay for the person behind you in a drive-thru.
- Write a small letter to your parents telling them how much you appreciate them.
- Hold the door for the people behind you.
- Make cards for soldiers or people in the hospital.
- Call someone you know who’s having a hard time and just listen to them for as long as they’d like.
- Tell someone face-to-face how much they mean to you.
- Make blankets to donate to hospitals or homeless shelters.
- Cook a meal or do a load of laundry for a loved one who’s going through a tough time
- Let the person behind you at the supermarket checkout with one or two items go ahead of you.
- Volunteer or donate to a food bank.
- Put sticky notes with positive messages on the mirrors in restrooms.
- Play board games with senior citizens at a nursing home (sixty percent of them will never have a visitor during their stay).
- Give someone who's crying in public a tissue, and offer to listen to them if they’re comfortable with it.
- Tell a customer service rep that you appreciate their hard work and hope they have a wonderful day.
- Compliment someone in front of others.
- Create a playlist for someone you care about.
- Apologize to someone with whom you don’t get along.
- Say yes at the store when the cashier asks if you want to donate $1 to a cause.
- Give a hug to someone you know and just say thank you.
- Call your mom.
- Gather some friends and pick up trash along a particularly litter-filled street in your town.
- Make a little extra food as you’re cooking and share it with someone who needs a fresh meal.
If you’re searching for food to share, look no further! Each member of the Garamasalas team has shared their favorite Thanksgiving recipe for you to enjoy.
This year, the Garamasalas staff is thankful for all of you. Every click, every view, every share means so much to us. We couldn't do this without your continued support. Thank you, and happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours.
illustration credit: debracartwright